Friday, October 2, 2009

Bow making

I've been bow making for the last few days, at first I tried to make a self bow of Elm but I had major problems with string follow (that is where the bow bends too much towards the string before it has been strung) the main reason for this is pulling too much when tillering the bow (thanks John) and wood that hasn't seasoned enough. So I laminated Elm to Maple and had much better success. The bow on the tillering jig is a long bow style and pulls 55lb @ 28 inches.




















This Bald Eagle decided to stop by, not sure if he was eyeing the chickens or mary the cat as a meal, either way they all made themselves scarce.
He stayed for quite a while but eventually got mobbed by crows so he moved on.

The bear is still down on the meadow every now and again we smell him and see his faeces or sick, but still no sightings.

Winter is getting close I need to start making some snowshoes, I made a deal with a neighbour who weaves, one pair of shoes for a woven sash(Metis style) cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment